Project Plan in Microsoft Project

Follow the step to create project plan in Microsoft Project.
image
I will type Construction:
image
and I will get:
image
I will pick first one, and I will get:
image
I can rearrange that template and after that I can save it to my own template, or I can build my own template from my existing project.
Another way (better one) is to find a template in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/. I will get:
image
After I choose Project I will search Plans:
image
and I will get:
image
You can Pick any template you like, and adopt it for your convenience.
Now I will build brand new template from my existing Wedding project:
image
You can see that there are Resources assigned to the Tasks, and that Project is 100% finished. Do not evaluate this Project! I made it up just for example at it does not present the real world situation!
Now I want to save this Project as a Template:
image
and I will get:
image
After that I will get:
image
You can select what do you want to exclude in Template. I suggest that you exclude all of them. Why? Because the Project is unique, so those values will change from Project to Project.
After I save this template I will get:
image
You can see that Actual Values are gone!
What is “wrong” with this template? Well….. maybe nothing! If you have resources in your company, and they are moving from one finished Project, to another started Project, than everything is fine. But usually you don’t know who will do what. You can not count on, for my example, Peter that he will always do the same work on same tasks. Much better approach is to build Generic Resources:
image
I will replace John as Groom, Mary as Bride, and Peter as Best Man!
image
OK. I will save this template, and now I am ready to reuse it! I have new Project and I want to create it from Template:
image
and then:
image
The first thing you must do for your new Project is to type Project Start or End date (depends on if you are managing your project from Start or End date).
image
Now you should save the Project, and start to work with it. If you know your resources, you can replace Generic with real one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Operating System | Best Definition of Opetating System

Umbrella activities in Software Engineering